For a child with asthma who lives in a home with a gas stove, 30% of their risk of asthma is from stove exposure, writes Dr Ben Ewald.
The evidence supports wanting to minimise exposure to these gases.
As doctors, we strive to deliver health advice supported by good science, and just as 30 years ago we recognised the benefits of protecting children from cigarette smoke, there is now a strong rationale to protect them from indoor gas combustion.
So what are some inexpensive steps that doctors can advise?
Read the full article published in NewsGP on 8 December 2022.
There is a range of useful resources about the risks of indoor gas exposure to help GPs:
- Doctors for the Environment Australia fact sheet: Asthma and Gas Appliances
- National Asthma Council
- Asthma Australia
- Health risks from indoor gas appliances, Australian Journal of General Practice, December 2022